The Southern African Research & Innovation Management Association of Building 33, Room S101, CSIR Campus, Meiring Naudé Road, Brummeria, Pretoria, Gauteng (“SARIMA”/“Our”/“We”/”Us”) recognize the importance of protecting your privacy and personal information and we are committed to protecting such information.
The “responsible party”, as referred to in the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPI”) is SARIMA.
- INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT
When you communicate with us through the Website, e-mail, telephone, subscribing or registering to receive access to a product or a service, or otherwise, we may collect Personal Information provided to us.
The type of information we collect will depend on the purpose for which it is collected and used. We will only collect and process information for the purpose for which it was provided. For example, we may collect and process the following Personal Information from you:
- information that you provide by completing forms (such as membership, training programs, webinars, seminars, short courses, events, or any other similar activities or services) on Our Website or subscribing to Our mailing lists;
- if you contact Us, We may keep a record of that correspondence;
- details of your visits to Our Website (including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs, IP address, operating systems, and other communication data) or information collected through cookies and the resources that you access; and
- information required to compile profiles for statistical purposes that are de-identified so that the profiles or statistics will not be linked to any person.
The types of Personal Information we may collect about you include:
- Personal identifiers, such as name, surname and identity number;
- Contact information, such as e-mail address, phone number, fax number and address;
- Professional information, such as your qualifications, your employer, designation and the contact information of your employer; and
- Financial information, such as payment information, employer VAT number and bank account details.
We assume that your personal information is provided voluntarily by you for the purpose indicated by Us when it is collected. However, if you do not provide this information voluntarily, it will not be possible for us to complete or provide you all services to you or engage/communicate with you in the manner and purpose set out in section 3 below.
If at any time, you do not wish for Us to use your personal information any longer, or for any purpose, you are able to withdraw consent for the use of your personal information for any or all purposes by contacting us at the numbers/addresses provided below.
- HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED AND DISCLOSED
We may use the personal information for the following purposes:
- to register and manage your membership with Us;
- to perform our services, including carrying out any agreement/s entered into between you and Us;
- to respond to any queries you make;
- to engage you as a trainer, facilitator or service provider for any of Our products, services, events or programs;
- information received from surveys that you choose to complete for Us will be used for research/information purposes;
- to notify you of training programs, webinars, seminars, short courses, functions, programs, events, or any other similar activities, products or services to be held, provided or facilitated by Us; and
- to communicate with you on matters involving Our business, including news, accolades, and awards, functions, articles, projects, events, and the like, whether directly or indirectly associated with Us (including information associated with its members, partners, stakeholders, collaborators, or facilitators).
We may need to disclose your personal information to:
- Certain of Our members, who are elected by the SARIMA membership to the SARIMA Committee to provide strategic direction and oversight and to ensure that the organisation fulfils its purpose and objectives;
- Other entities with which SARIMA partners, engages, collaborates, or cooperates to achieve its objectives and purposes, including third party service providers, agents, and sub-contractors, who are involved in facilitating the provision of Our products or services to you, on the instruction and under the control of, SARIMA; and
- Other stakeholders associated with SARIMA when we believe it will enhance the services and products we can offer to you, but only where you have not objected to such sharing.
(collectively, the “Recipients”)
When disclosing information to a Recipient, We will require the Recipient to take appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures to protect your personal information in terms of POPI.
We may also need to disclose your personal information to others where it has a duty in terms of any law or industry code; or where it is required to protect Our legitimate interests, Our employees, consultants, or any other person.
- PROTECTION AND RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We are committed to protecting the personal information you provide. We will treat your personal information as confidential and take appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures to ensure that your personal information is kept secure and is protected against loss of, damage to or unauthorised destruction of personal information; and unlawful access to or processing of personal information.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as it is necessary and to fulfil the purposes explicitly set out in this policy, unless:
- retention of the record is required or authorised by law;
- you have consented to the retention of the record; or
- retention is for statistical or research purposes (subject to appropriate safeguards).
- STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Your personal information will be stored electronically in one or more centralised database(s), which will be accessible to all Our employees and voluntary members of SARIMA acting in their capacity as members of the SARIMA Committee. Where appropriate, some information may be retained in hard copy. In either event, storage will be secure and regularly audited regarding the safety and security of the information.
We use secure servers to protect your personal information. All sensitive/credit information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer technology and encrypted by the payment gateway provider’s database.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. We will do Our best to protect your personal information, however, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of your information to our Website is entirely at your own risk. Once we have received your information, We will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
- CROSS BORDER TRANSFER
SARIMA is a Southern African organisation. We may therefore be required to transfer your personal information to Recipients in other countries, to achieve Our objectives and purposes. Where required to do so, We will transfer your personal information to Recipients located in countries that have similar data protection laws to South Africa. In the event that your personal information is transferred to Recipients which are located in countries that do not have similar data protection laws, We will enter into a prior agreement with the Recipient to protect your personal information in the same way as SARIMA is obliged to do, in terms of POPI.
- ACCESS AND RIGHT TO AMEND YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the right to access and the right to rectify your personal information collected by Us by requesting such a review through the feedback link. You will then be able to access your user profile, correct and update your details, or unsubscribe at any time. Please provide Us with accurate and up-to-date personal information as soon as possible after any change to this information.
- RIGHT TO OBJECT TO THE PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the right, at any time, to object to the processing of your personal information. If you would like to object to the use of your personal information by Us, please send a notice to this effect at the address indicated in section 13 below.
- RIGHT TO LODGE A COMPLAINT
You have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Regulator, and the contact details of the Information Regulator are:
Physical Address: JD House, 27 Stiemens Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001
Where you provide us with personal information relating to a third party data subject (for example, your company), you warrant that you have obtained all necessary consents from such data subject, including the data subject’s consent for you to share such personal information with Us to process on your behalf.
- STATUS AND AMENDMENTS
The privacy statement applies to Us and any legal entity, which controls, verifies or makes use of information that may be collected via this Website.
- HOW TO CONTACT US